Interviu Urban 03: Fatboy Slim

Urban Things presents the 3rd installment of Urban Interviews : Fatboy Slim (Uk).
The interview has been realised with the huge help of The Light Cinema Romania as a preview to the screening in Romania of Fatboy Slim Live in Brighton.

Norman Quentin Cook (born Quentin Leo Cook on 16 July 1963 in Bromley, England), also known by his stage name Fatboy Slim, is an English DJ, electronic dance music musician, and record producer.
A pioneer of the big beat genre that achieved mainstream popularity in the 1990s, Cook has achieved considerable success in the UK charts, performing as Fatboy Slim and with The Housemartins, Beats International, and Freak Power. As Fatboy Slim, he has won ten MTV Video Music Awards and two Brit Awards, and his best known tracks include Weapon of Choice, Praise You, The Rockafeller Skank and Right Here Right Now. In 2011 he produced the hit single Mama Do the Hump by Brighton band Rizzle Kicks. In 2012, Cook founded a project called The Brighton Port Authority.
1.       How did you get started as a Dj?
When I was 15, I was the only one in my town who had all the records so I got invited to all the parties. After a while I realised if I left the records lying around at teenage parties they got ruined so one day the host of the party hired dj decks so I could keep an eye on them. I loved dj’ing and the crowd seemed to love me dj’ing and the rest is history....

2)     Going back to the early days as a DJ do you feel that something is missing now from those days? Is there a change in the attitude of the people that are listening to your music or how the events are made?
Nothing is missing except a naivity about how much fun can be had. The events are better run and people know what to expect and do!

3)     The Mighty Dub Kats moment: how did you get started with this project and do you believe is there a way to have another release in the future?
The Dub Katz were born when I did house tunes that were too stoopid or left field to be Pizzaman. If skint/loaded rejected them we would just put them out ourselves.  The Dub Katz never split up to I suppose if I did anything too stoopid to be Fatboy.....
4)    The “Weapon of Choice” video is still considered as an icon, how did you choose to work with Christopher Walken and did you expect it to get to successful?
It started with a random dinner conversation between Christopher and Spike Jonze who then went outside the restaurant and phoned me with the idea. How could it not work!?

5)    Brighton Beach: which was the best event you had there?
The first one had the most innocent pleasure coz we had no idea how it would work out. The most recent at the Amex Stadium was the best show we’ve put on and meant a lot to be because of my history not only with Brighton the city but the football club too...

6)    How did you felt about the ban you received from playing on the beach from 2002 to 2006?
They had a point. BBB2 nearly crippled the city. We had to work on a way of doing it safely and manageably. Brighton doesn’t have enough roads, toilets or alcohol for an extra 250,000 people!

7)    How was the comeback to Brighton? Do you believe that the initial ban made things even more attractive for the people?
Everyone in Brighton had been bugging me to do it again but some were disappointed we had to put a fence round it and sell tickets..
8)    How did you decide to create this cinema dance party?
We wanted to put the film in cinemas but knew it had a limited appeal compared to the new Batman film so we condensed the viewing time so everybody could see it at once and feel like part of the party. It’s not something to watch at a Tuesday matinee!

9)    600 cinemas around the world, for just one night will be the home of Fatboy Slim, are you going to go a cinema near you as to see the event as well?
I will be at the Duke of Yorks cinema in Brighton but might possibly not sit through the whole thing (again....)

10)  Before we see the event: how would you personally describe what happened in BB5?
In terms of production the biggest show I’ve ever done. In terms of excitement, one of the pivotal shows of my career. A spectacular venue and my insane home crowd!

11)  What are your plans for BB6?
There will one but we have yet to work out how and where to do something more striking, perhaps a year off in between????
12)  How did feel about playing the closing of the Olympic Games?
One of the more mental moments of my career.....a great honour to represent team GB in the dj’ing event. There was a real buzz around how well the Olympics had gone for us and a worthy party to celebrate. That’s before I can begin to describe the experience of dj’ing in a 40 foot high inflatable octopus.....

13)  Is there a new album that you’re working on at this point of time?
No. just bits and bobs, I’m too busy dj’ing right now...

14)  In your first years as a Dj and producer did ever think you will get this much recognition from the public?
I had no idea dj’s would be considered so important. It was always more of a hobby coz I got a kick making people dance and smile, it was never a career in those days. I have been very proud to be part of the development of dj’s into superstars. It’s been an exciting ride!

15)  How do you feel when you are on the stage and which do you believe is your best performance to date.
When I’m on stage I feel like an intoxicated teenager, high on life and over –excited. I think my best performances have been in clubs like space in Ibiza or perhaps at Salvador carnival in brazil. The big stadium and festival shows are exciting but I don’t take so many risks and relax into it. In nightclubs I go on much more of a journey with the crowd rather than a straight performance.